3.31.2014

cowboy cookies

cowboy cookies / herthreadedneedle

these cookies are so good, man.
I haven't made them in probably ten years, but the frakes family went to moab over the weekend and I was put in charge of treats.
what is more manly and western and moab-y than COWBOY COOKIES, I ask you?

nothing.

plus they're delicious.
I learned to make these when I was thirteen. I went to visit Idaho with my grandparents, and while I was there, I stopped by to see our family's favorite missionary and his family. Is this story getting confusing? Anyway his mother (the missionary's) taught me to make these cookies. Her name was Ruth Reynolds, and they lived on a real live ranch, so you know these are authentic western very rustic looking  cookies. Whatever that means. The recipe calls for cornflakes, which sounds weiiiiiird. But they caramelize in the oven and they're awesome.


cowboy cookies
Cowboy Cookies

1 c margarine (I used coconut oil this time and it was spot on, but I've also used shortening)
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 c coconut
2 c oats
1 1/2 c cornflakes
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla (Ruth's recipe calls for one...I always double the vanilla in any recipe I make)
1 pkg chocolate chips

bake at 375* for 10 minutes
(slightly flatten the top of the cookie before you pop them in the oven)

herthreadedneedleherthreadedneedle
kid approved

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. These look yummy. Also I like cowboy everything.
    p.s. sorry for posting with my husband's account just now. I keep doing that to people.

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)