7.16.2013

know i love you



 photo D5C9010F-1F2D-4CB1-BA40-B0CC5004E1E9-1603-00000249D6F89812_zps3b4820a2.jpg

Travis has been working late hours for weeks. The fourth of July. My birthday. Saturday. Sunday.
We've really missed him, and not to complain, but it's getting pretty old. You know?

It's almost like being a single mom over here. Almost, because sometimes he's home in time to read a goodnight story. And of course, there's the paycheck I don't have to earn myself.

so all in all, I've been keeping a pretty good attitude about it, I think. But it doesn't make it easier.

Last night, after the dishes were washed, the laundry folded, children bathed (and poo cleaned from the tub), and house picked up, I tucked Luke into bed. He laid on my chest and I rubbed his back for a bit while I sang him the lullabies my grandmother sang to me. I always end with the same one.

Roses love sunshine,
violets love dew,
angels in heaven know I love you.
Know I love you dear,
Know I love you.
Angels in heaven know I love you.

This one is my favorite. The next (made-up) verses are so nice to hear.
 Mama loves Lucas,
Lucas so dear.
Mama loves Lucas,
Lucas so dear.

We went down the list, naming each person who holds him in their hearts.

Finally,covers tucked under his chin, and trains in hand, we "sweess" (kiss) goodnight, and I walked down the hall to elsie's room.

she nursed, and I rocked her to sleep as I sang her the lullaby.

Angels in heaven know I love you.
Know I love you dear,
know I love you
Angels in heaven know I love you.

I sat there rocking quietly long after she had fallen asleep.
I was drained, and I was lonely.

I gazed out the window as the sun set and the fireflies began to dance.
We rocked back and forth, back and forth as the light faded from the room.
The cicadas began to hum and the sky turned the prettiest shades of pink and purple.

and there it was.
my lullaby.
Painted in the sky, my lullaby was sung by God Himself.

Angels in heaven know I love you.
Know I love you dear,
Know I love you
Angels in heaven know I love you.

That song, my song, our song, His song, echoed down the hallways of our home and peace reverberated from the walls.

He always knows, doesn't He, when we need a little gift.
A little encouragement, a little peace.

Last night mine was the gift of quiet, of sleeping children, a moment alone.
A comfortable chair and a yummy smelling baby.

Angels in heaven know I love you.
Know I love you dear,
Know I love you,
Angels in heaven know I love you.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. You have such a great attitude, and I'm glad your husband works so hard for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh friend, I'm just sitting here with tears streaming down. This was so beautiful. I know loneliness all too well lately and this was a great reminder of our Heavenly Father's love.

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)