5.15.2013

a blessing gown


 photo blessingdressbw_zpsf967fa2d.jpg
 photo IMG_4873_zpsc2f56331.jpg
 photo IMG_4864_zpsb80c89d9.jpg
 photo IMG_4836bw_zps61a5ac4b.jpg photo IMG_4818bw_zps4880c458.jpg

Elsie's blessing gown was my blessing gown. 
My blessing gown was my mother's blessing gown.
My mother's blessing gown was handmade by grandmother.

I've been waiting since I was a little girl to dress my daughter in this dress on her special day.
Each of our names (mine, my mother's and my sister's) and our birth dates  are embroidered on the shift.
I added my Elsie girl's at the bottom of the list.
The first of this next generation.

and for fun, here's my mother wearing the dress (also with my mother's parents):
 photo Pam067_zps1c06dbea.jpg

and me on my blessing day:
 photo blessingday-mcghee_zps918657e6.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I love the awesome traditions your family has! Don't mind me, I'm just over here copying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. You look just like Luke and Elsie in your baby picture! Elodie was blessed in my blessing gown too! I love these kinds of traditions that help us feel connected to those who came before us. Beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love such a wonderful family tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blessing gown! And a wonderful family tradition.

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)