3.25.2013

hooded baby towel diy

We didn't need to buy this girl much as far as "baby supplies" go, because the bonus of having baby #2, is that you have a boatload of gear already (even if most of it is blue). One thing she did need though, was her own towel, so a few weeks ago, I checked that off my list.

I looked at a few tutorials online, and they all looked way more complicated than I thought they needed to be. Luckily, we had a friend gift us the best hooded towel for Luke (it's so soft!), so I just looked at the construction of that towel and kind of followed a long. Here's how I did it:

hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle

You'll need:
1 extra fluffy bath towel
1 extra fluffy hand towel 
(please don't give yo' baby a scratchy towel! and the bigger the better...they'll drown in it at the beginning {how cozy!}, but remember they'll grow to be toddlers and will still be able to use it)
a bit of scrap fabric (optional) 
sewing machine/thread 
scissors or rotary cutter and mat


hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle

Step 1 is optional. I wanted a bit of decorative fabric on the hood of my towel. If you do too, now is the time to add it. Just measure the length of your hand towel, and however thick you want the band of fabric to be. I think mine was 3 or 4". Remember to leave a seam allowance before you cut it. Iron over the seam allowance, pin, and sew it to your hand towel. If you just want a plain hooded towel, feel free to skip this.

hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle

(but it sure looks cute!)

hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle


Then you'll need to cut your hand towel not-quite-in-half. I cut about 10" to use for the hood. You will have a good amount of hand towel left over (could be trimmed into a wash cloth? or used for a burp cloth?)

hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle

Then you'll want to fold your hood portion in half (hamburger style) inside out. You will want to sew the edge you just trimmed together. I used a straight stitch and then went over it with a zig zag stitch for durability. If you have a serger (you lucky dog), you could use that too. These things are going to see a lot of use!
At the end, I curved my seam a little bit to make it fit a round head a bit better. You don't need to, but I think it makes the hood fit nicer.
hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle
hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle

Then turn your hood right side out again, and line up the seam at the back of the hood (the one you just sewed) to the center of your towel. Pin it there, then continue to pin each side of the hood to the towel.

hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle
hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle

Sew this together. I used the same straight stitch + zig sag stitch combo as before. Trim your threads, flip it back right side out, and you're done! Easy peasy.
 Toss it in the wash, and it's ready for baby whenever s/he is!
questions?
hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle
hooded baby towel tutorial / herthreadedneedle

p.s. extra soft and fluffy towels are from kohl's, fabric from an amish quilt shop in shipshewana, IN

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE these! Thanks for such a great tutorial ! Following you! :)

    http://thebees3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hooded towels! I keep making them larger and larger because my kids just love them.

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)