12.12.2012

It's not christmas without...

There are some things that just make Christmas.
The traditions, that if skipped, leave the holiday season feeling a little empty. 
The ones I loved as a little girl, and have taken with me into marriage.
Merged with Travis's family traditions, we're creating our own memories for Luke.

One of mine are these Molasses cookies. This is my grandmother's recipe, straight from Germany, and they mean love. I can't think of a single time we visited her house (or she came to ours!) without being fed these little brown cookies- and another batch baked for our car ride home. 
I especially love them at Christmas time- eating these gingery love cookies just makes ya feel good.

Plus I made a few batches for the entire second grade one year, and they just devoured them. 
And their moms all begged for the recipe. 
And if 8 year olds like them, you know they're good. 

Photobucket
3/4 c. shortening 
1 c. sugar
2 c. flour 
1/4 c. molasses 
2 t. baking soda
 1/2 t.ground cloves (my grandma always notes- not too much cloves!)
1/2 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon 
1/2 t. salt
pinch of nutmeg
1 egg

Mix together. It should be sort of crumbly, but form well. Shape into balls.
The traditional German way is to roll the balls in white sugar (before baking) and then flatten with a glass when they're placed on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 10 minutes
For these pictures, I tried drizzling the top with a vanilla glaze, which we LOVED. 
Especially Luke. 

Photobucket

Vanilla glaze
 1 TB butter
1 1/2 TB milk
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract (please, please, please use REAL vanilla. it makes such a difference!)
1 c. powdered sugar. 

Stir ingredients over low heat. Drizzle over slightly cooled cookies.
yum.

And stay tuned- I have asked a few bloggers to share their favorite traditions over the next few weeks.
Double yum.


P.S. See Travis's tradition that sort of drives me nuts because it takes FOR EV ER here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! These cookies are iron packed! Isn't molasses a good source of iron? I think so! Thanks for sharing your grandma's recipe!

    ♥Janette
    http://janettethejongleur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had family recipes!

    These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)