8.21.2012

Coconut Bread

this bread is delicious you guys.
It's more of a dessert bread.
(and it is incredible toasted and buttered for breakfast!)
Photobucket

It's one of those things that everybody asks the recipe for, so I'm finally sharing it on my blog.
you're welcome.

Photobucket

you need:

3 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 t. coconut extract
1 c. buttermilk*
1 c. shredded coconut

Mix above ingredients (saving coconut for last). Pour batter into loaf pans, bake at 325* for 1 hour.
makes two loaves of bread

(* who actually buys buttermilk? There are lots of ways to make it at home, but my go-to way is to pour a tiny bit of white vinegar into my cup of 2% milk. Let it sit for a minute and it will begin to curdle. gross. Then add it to your batter)

Photobucket
The hardest part is showing restraint when they come out of the oven. I usually give in and cut into it right away...and the loaf is crumbly and falls apart (but it's sooo wonderful hot out of the oven with melted butter. you just have to eat it with a fork!). It's worth it to wait til it cools to dig in. Travis can always tell how long I've waited to eat by how crumbly these are.

also, spectacular neighbor gift idea. bake in mini pans (just adjust bake time), and wrap up with some pretty ribbon. good thing none of you are my neighbors, because it's probably my christmas gift this year.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT THE WHAT?!!!! This looks INCREDIBLE! I've been craving something coconutty! I'm bookmarking this for sure! It sounds pretty easy to make! Wonder what happens if you add a little pineapple pieces.. It'd be like..pina colada bread! YUM! Thanks for sharing Rachel!


    ♥Janette
    http://janettethejongleur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, soooo good toasted the next day!

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)