5.23.2012

a triangle quilt


a triangle quilt / herthreadedneedle

I made a quilt, huzzah! I was inspired by this, and thought it would make a perfect addition to Luke's nursery. While I was in Denver, I enlisted the help of my Kippy-mom, master quilter extraordinaire, and she helped me figure this sucker out. We didn't have a pattern, so at first I tried to sketch out my own. We cut out all the parallelograms (as triangles)...and they didn't match up when you tried to put them in a row. Oops. So we wised up and bought a triangle template and re-cut all these triangles. I loved this project, and I'm in love with how it turned out. I'll definitely be making another one.

It's not perfect, but I let go of perfection before I started, and it relieved a lot of anxiety. Plus, I read somewhere once that the Amish purposely create imperfection somewhere (a dropped stitch or two) in their handmade quilts. Something about there not being anything perfect in life but God. I like that. Imperfect people and imperfect quilts.


a triangle quilt / herthreadedneedle\
a triangle quilt / herthreadedneedle
a triangle quilt / herthreadedneedle
a triangle quilt / herthreadedneedle
a triangle quilt / herthreadedneedle
a triangle quilt / herthreadedneedle

You can tell Luke likes it, because he kept photo bombing my pictures. 
little stinker.

If you're interested in making your own, for a crib sized quilt I bought (all soft cotton solids):
2 yards of grey (since I used it for the back and one of my dominant colors)
1/2 yard white
1/4 gold/mustard
8" pale yellow
8" mint green
8" pale blue
8" chocolate brown
8" red
8" tangerine
8" teal
1 yard cotton batting

Originally we had 6" triangles (plus 1/4" seam allowance), but when we had to re-cut, we ended up with 5" triangles (plus 1/4" seam). I think I actually like the 5" size better, but if you're making a bigger quilt, you might want to go with the 6".
I made my own bias tape out of two fat quarters- one black w/white triangles, the other white w/black triangles and alternated the two. Once I washed it up, the quilt got perfectly crinkly and delicious looking. And it's just the perfect size for Luke to snuggle in!

5 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! Good job! Really like the triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am dying over this. DYING!!! i wish i had your skillz. so so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its time I learn to quilt. This is beautiful!
    Found you via Crowley Party!
    Cheers!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Found you on Elise's blog, when you left a comment. Nice job on this!
    I just learned to sew so I'm in the beginning stages still. Doing a quilt would be fantastic one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful! I followed you from Elise's blog, too. I have been dreaming of making my own quilt, this is so lovely! Well done.

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)