5.15.2012

mexico, part 3

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I accidentally had my first sip of alcohol our third day there. We have chosen to abstain from alcohol for religious purposes, so I have never tasted it before. I was a little paranoid about accidentally getting an alcoholic piƱa colada, so we made sure to really stress the without alcohol part. And Travis always repeated it in Spanish, just to be sure. And this guy repeated back to us, si, no alcohol. So I took a big sip...and spit it right out. It was super disgusting. I ran back to the hotel and gargled with some coke. I felt like such a sinner, haha. It reminded me of my Indian friend from high school who had never had meat before (religiously)- she threw up after accidentally ingesting what she thought was a "meatless" taco from Taco Bell. Now I get it.

also, in the 6th picture down, on the left side, you can see a "hoop" carved out of stone. There was some ceremonial game played by the ancient Mayan men here, where they would try to get a ball through that hoop. Then, the winners or losers (it isn't clear which), would pierce their, as our Mayan guide put it, "pee pee parts". For some reason, Trav really needed a picture with it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)