4.09.2012

how to: quiet book cover

I finally got around to making the cover for one of my quiet books and thought I'd share with you how I did it. 
Photobucket


 you will need:
1 yard of fabric
scrap fabric
embroidery thread
needle
sewing machine
rotary cuter/mat
scissors
2 book rings
eyelets
eyelet punch

Begin by cutting out your fabric. I bought a full yard, but I had some left over. You could maybe get away with 3/4 yard? 

Photobucket


 I cut my farbic 13" (tall) x 44" (wide) 
(finished dimensions are 12" tall, 22" wide, accounting for 1/4" seams on all sides)

I wanted to applique some of the letters on the front page, and embroider the rest. I cut out my letters, pinned and sewed.

Photobucket

Photobucket
 Then I hand embroidered the rest (using a back stitch).
I sketched out the hand script (see faint marks above) with my air erase fabric marker.

Be creative here. Sew on buttons. Consider making the front of your cover have it's own "activity".
Personalize it with your kids' names.
Photobucket
Once you've finished with the front of your cover, it will look like this:

Photobucket

Then you need to design your closure. This part isn't necessary, but I wanted my book to be able to close to make for easier transport in little arms.

Cut out two strips of fabric 1 1/2" wide (allowing for 1/4" seams), and about 5" long. The strips I have shown in the pictures are too long; I had to shorten it, but 5" is what mine ended up being.

Photobucket

Sew velcro (make sure it isn't the sticky backed kind; you'll gunk up your sewing machine needle!) to one side of the strip. Then sew right sides together (so the velcro is facing in) and then turn inside out.

Photobucket

Then you are going to measure where you want your tab to be, and pin in place.
You'll want the long side tucked inside the fabric (with just a skinny tail peeking (out) because you will be sewing right sides together. When you turn it right side out, the tab will now be on the outside. When you sew it all together, you'll want to run over this tab with your machine several times so it will be durable.

Photobucket

Then sew on another piece of velcro to the front of your page where you want your tab to connect.


Photobucket
Then fold your fabric in half (hamburger style!) with right sides together. Make sure you run over your tab several times!! Leave an opening wide enough for you to turn it right side out.

Photobucket

Once it's flipped right side out, iron your page and hand sew the closure.

Then measure (using your completed quiet book pages) where you need your eyelets to be, and attach.

Photobucket
Clip together with the rings, and you're done!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Question, how many 'pages' could you fit in this? I want to make one for my daughter, and want to start planning. =] Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has about ten pages (front & back) in it right now. Since I plan on adding more pages to it, I used larger book rings. I could probably comfortably fit in another 5, maybe 10 if I really wanted to. If you want less, go ahead and use slightly smaller book rings (I think the ones I used were 3", you could try 1 1/2" or 2" rings). The book cover is a pretty flexible size! hope that helps! :)

      Delete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)