4.23.2012

homemade playdough

I've been going a little crazy trying to entertain this wild man. 
You know, besides letting him climb up on the kitchen table. 

While we were in Denver for Luke's birthday, my nieces frequently played with play-dough.
They wanted Luke to join in, but I knew it would go straight to his mouth. I don't really know what is in that stuff!
When we got home, I remembered my mom used to make us homemade playdough when we were little, so I found the recipe.
My mom's recipe called for one package of Kool-Aid, but I didn't have any. 
I was stumped for a minute until I saw the Jell-o packets in our pantry.
Same thing, right?
I gave it a try, and it worked great!
Photobucket

mix the above ingredients together in a small pot on medium-low heat until combined. 
Then knead together to ensure they are thoroughly mixed. I think I needed to add a little more flour. 
This brought back so many great memories of my childhood.
I used to love the warm feel of the play-dough- it smells so great that I would press it against my face.
The best part is that while this doesn't taste great, it is entirely safe to eat. 

Photobucket

Which of course, Luke immediately did.
Before he threw it on the floor. 
Oh well.


oh, keep this in an airtight container.
If you leave it out to dry, it will harden (which is fun if you want to make sculptures), but it keeps great in the fridge for months.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! :] I can't wait to make play-doh for my kids! Teehee! I'm sure they will just end up eating it/throwing it on the floor as well though! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)