4.18.2012

homemade granola

We go through food obsessions at our house. Most recently it's been granola. 
For awhile, we would take a rolling pin and crunch up a few Nature Valley Granola bars and mix them with milk (Travis) or yogurt (me). Only we went through the Costco sized box (96 bars!) in a week and a half. Obsession. So I decided to try out making my own, and it was a lot easier than I thought!

Photobucket
The thing about making your own granola is that you can put anything you want in it, and there is no real "recipe". You can add as much or as little of whatever you've got. Here's how I made mine:

6 c. old fashioned oats (you don't want instant!)
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. raisins 
1 T sesame seeds
1/2 c. shredded coconut 
2 t vanilla 
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 t salt
1/2 water
1 c. coconut oil or vegetable oil
3 c. honey

Mix it all together in a large bowl. The more honey you add, the more chunky your granola will be, so feel free to add more! Cover a baking sheet with tinfoil (the honey is sticky, so this just makes clean up easy), then spread a thin layer of your granola over the sheet. I usually have to bake my granola in two batches. Pop it in the oven at 250*, and bake for about an hour. You'll want to take it out when it is golden brown and no longer feels "wet". It will still feel soft at this point. Take it out and allow to cool. Once it is cooled, it will become more crunchy. If it doesn't have as much crunch as you like, add more honey to your second batch.
Photobucket

Try adding other dried fruits or nuts.
Next time I want to try dried cherries!

1 comment:

  1. This looks DELICIOUS! I am so going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)