2.29.2012

cheesy potato soup


Photobucket

yum. 

This is one of those great meals that only has a few simple ingredients. I turn to it often when I feel like I have nothing in the house. Or when I'm a new postpartum/nursing mother with a ridiculous appetite and my mom makes me things with carbs and cheese. and bacon !!

Ingredients:
4-6 potatoes
1 onion
2 stalks of celery
1-2 cups chicken broth
1 quart milk
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. shredded cheese
about 1/2 lb bacon
parsley
salt & pepper

Peel & chop 4-6 potatoes and just cover with chicken broth. Set to boil. Chop some bacon slices and fry them up. Cook more bacon than you think you'll want (it's for garnish), because hopefully I'm not the only one who eats half of it while I cook. (Don't tell me if I am. I'd rather live in ignorance.) Once the bacon is crispy, set aside. Chop 1 onion and 2-3 stalks of celery. Saute both in the bacon grease until onions are translucent, and then add all to the potatoes. (Theoretically you could drain the excess grease, but that would be crazy. Get rid of all that extra bacon flavor? That would be nuts.) In the same skillet you cooked the bacon/onions/celery in, add 1/2 c. butter and melt, then add 1/2 cup flour. This will make a roux to thicken the soup. Once the flour is mixed in, pour it into a quart of milk and shake to combine. Then add to soup. Once this is heated through, throw in about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and heat until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
 Garnish with bacon and parsley just before serving.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)