1.26.2012

winter challenge: channel someone

Today I chose to channel my grandmother.
My grandma is a cute little Southern lady with impeccable manners. Growing up she would tell me things that ladies do or do not do.
"Ladies do not put their elbows on the table."
"Ladies keep their knees together and cross their ankles."
"Ladies always pass the salt and pepper together."
"Ladies do not holler like a banshee."

Don't let that fool you though. She is one of my favorite people to hang out with. When I was in high school, my family went on vacation and she and I stayed home and suntanned at the beach, and went to the mall, and ate Chinese take out (on the floor, so elbows allowed!) while we watched late night t.v. Not everything she taught me stuck- pretty sure I don't always cross my ankles, and sometimes I like to holler like a banshee because, well, don't you? But then there was this:

"Ladies put on lipstick when they leave the house."
When I was a little girl, I loved watching her get ready. Perfume and jewelry and perfectly coiffed ash-blonde hair. And then the lipstick. Ladies wear lipstick you know. So I stole into my mother's make up drawer and slapped on that bright red stick. I blotted with toilet paper. And I looked like a clown and sheepishly crept back to bed.So now, a decade and a half or so later, I'm trying again. I wore that lipstick to the grocery store, and I wore it to the thrift store, and I wore it to the library. When I came home, I wore it while I made dinner and did the dishes, and bathed my son. And you know what? I felt like a lady.

Photobucket
looks like my postpartum hair is getting long enough to lay down flat!

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Your grandma sounds awesome and you look great with red lipstick! I always put it on and then just take it off because I feel like I look weird but I guess I should be brave one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Great story, and you look like quite the lady in that lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you stopped by and left a note. Thank you thank you for all of your advice. Can't tell you how much it means. Darling blog you have here! New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, this is such a sweet post. What a lovely tribute to your grandma!

    Kayla
    Freckles in April

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)