1.09.2012

How to: make a no-sew hair felt bow



Photobucket

I made some of these hair bows a few months ago, and I wear them all the time. I've been getting a lot of comments on them, so I thought I ought to share with all of you. These would be great for little girls, or sewn onto baby onesies, purses, or even on the top of a bookmark.

There are a couple of different versions that I will be sharing, so here's the first. I'm sharing the no-sew version (I've made both), but you could just as easily use a thread and needle to pull this off if you don't have a glue gun.

materials:
felt
fabric scissors
glue gun/glue sticks
bobby pins (or other hair clips)

Photobucket
You will need to cut three strips of felt in the color of your choice. Cut one strip about 1/2" thick and 2" long (this is the piece that you will cut the edges on), a second strip about 1/2" thick and 2 1/2" long, and a third strip just a little skinnier than 1/2" (but bigger than 1/4", so play around with the size you want) and 2" long.
I didn't worry about cutting straight, and I just eyeballed the length- I measured after so I had something to give you guys.

Place a dot of hot glue in the middle of the longest piece. Fold both the ends into the middle and press them into the glue. It should look like this:

Photobucket
Then put another dab of hot glue just over the seam you just created. Press that into the center of the second piece of felt (the one with the cut edges). Like so:

Photobucket
Then wrap the third, skinnier piece around the middle and hot glue together at the back. Slip in your bobby pin (or better yet, glue it in place as you wrap the skinny piece around).

Photobucket
you're done!

Photobucket
*
we're here in our new apartment, safe and sound. Still busy unpacking boxes (while chasing a little one), so things will probably continue to be a little quiet around here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, lurker Rachel here!

    You are just so cute and your blog is so cute and your son is SO CUTE! I love this felt bow! Especially how easy it is to make. They are fabulous, thanks for the idea!

    PS Good luck unpacking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! :] I can't wait to make some for myself!

    ReplyDelete

share your lovely thoughts with me!

I love responding to your comments via email. Please make sure your email is linked to your profile (double check! if you have google+ sometimes it does crazy things and unlinks your email!) :)